Here are some other things for the recruited student-athlete to consider:
- Eliminate from consideration any school that encourages you to cancel other visits. They are afraid of comparisons!
- Be skeptical of coaches or recruiters who criticize other college programs. Their program probably doesn’t measure up.
- Do not choose a school because you are impressed with the recruiter.
- Finally, You Choose the College! Take into consideration advice from friends, relatives, and others. But, make the college decisions that is best for you and then make it the best decisions by working hard to successful as a student, as an athlete and as a person!
I. Education – Academics
- What is the national academic reputation of the school?
- What is the national reputation of my intended major at this school?
- What is the student/Professor ratio in my major?
- What is the accreditation rating in my major?
- What is the degree of difficulty of school generally? of your major specifically.
- Do coaches emphasize academics?
- What is the graduation rate of scholarship athletes?
- Is there an academic plan for athletes?
- Academic Advisor and Academic Counseling
- Preferred scheduling
- Tutoring program
- Study table (ask for an explanation)
- Library and Study Areas
- Required class attendance
- Is summer school education part of the scholarship offer?
- Is a 5th year available if necessary to complete my degree?
II. Head Coach – Assistant Coaches
- What is the national reputation of the Head Coach?
- What is the national reputation of the coaching staff?
- What kind of reputation has the recruiter developed with your Senior High School?
- Do the coaches treat players as people?
- Do the coaches treat players as students?
- What is the philosophy towards working with athletes?
- Will the coaching staff help me plan for my future?
- Job opportunities, including summer work (ask for explanation)
- Future placement
- Type/Character of head coach and position coach
III. The Athletic Scholarship (also called an Athletic Grant-in-Aid)
IV. The College
- Where is it located? ( inner city, rural, suburban)
- What is the distance from home?
- What are the campus, the dormitories, fraternities/sororities, apartments and facilities like?
- What are the dining facilities quality/quantity of food, training table?
- Spiritual, aesthetic, cultural opportunities?
- Quantity, quality of student body?
- Attitude faculty, student body, and community towards athletes in general, your sport in particular.
- What are the students like? What are the other players like? Do they seem to be quality people?
- Does the school have character and spirit?
- Consider the social aspect of the school.
- Will I fit in financially?
- What is the social climate of the
- Can I attend the church of my choice?
- Private, public, denominational school?
- Climate—weather conditions
- Quality of recruiting
V. Other Things to Consider
- What is the athletic tradition of the school?
- Are they a regular post season participant?
- Are they a
- Are they rebuilding?
- Is the head coach secure in his/her job? How long does he or she intend to be at this school?
- How long has
he or she been there?
- Where else has he or she coached?
- Can I play/start as a freshman?
- At what position am I being recruited?
- What is the number of returning players, lettermen, or starters at my position?
- How many players are they recruiting at my position? How many do they want to sign?
- How many scholarships are they offering this year?
- What are their offensive and defensive tendencies or philosophies?
- What are the athletic facilities like? Fieldhouse? Locker Rooms? Practice Areas?
- Strength Program and Weight Room?
- What is their conference affiliation?
- What teams do they play?
- Can this program help me reach my full potential?
- What is the medical staff comprised of? What is the quality of prevention and care of injuries?
- Doctors, trainers, medical facilities?
- What is the policy toward serious injury and graduation?
- If I sign early and am injured, do I still have a scholarship?
- Is there media exposure? (Press, TV, Radio)
- Has there been honesty and fairness in recruiting?
- Has there been any history of NCAA probation or
- Are there any local kids or other friends going to the school?
- Alumni—job opportunity summer/after graduation.
- Recreation facilities
- Quality/type of athletes in general and your sport in particular?
- Is the system of play compatible to your abilities?
- What is their redshirt policy?